Wednesday, October 26, 2011

On UnThink

You may have been invited recently to join a social media site called UnThink.   It's a small start up by Natasha Dedis who started the site as a mom-approved alternative for her son. The site has lofty ambitions to take over both Facebook as well as Google+.  Videos have been published on YouTube comparing having a Facebook page to building your house on someone else's lot and encouraging viewers that anyone can be extraordinary. The video shown is somewhat of a middle finger to existing sites but the edgy, independent vibe makes sense for a pre-teen demographic. 


Personally,  I dig the passion and the creativity.  I kind of like the ideals they stand for. I like that this site offers me guaranteed privacy.  I like that they offer me the chance to "sponsor" advertisers rather than being inundated. I'm not super thrilled about Facebooks insight into my every move and like. I like the idea of "unthinking" traditional ideas.


That being said, I'm pretty invested in Facebook.  Google+ doesn't seem to have gone anywhere but Facebook has a sort of domination in the world wide web.  If Facebook were a country, it would be the third largest population in the world.  Since the UnThink website was crashed for most of the day, I'd say they have some catching up to do. 


But for a low budget start up, they're getting some serious buzz. Best of luck UnThinkers.  Today Beta site.  Tomorrow the world.


Mood:  Empowered




No comments:

Post a Comment