Thursday, October 6, 2011

On Bing

It's official.  I'm becoming a Binger.  A Bingy?  A Bingo? A Bingkin?  Whatever we're called, I love Bing.  Bing has been progressively becoming my go-to search engine and just recently was promoted to the honor of being my homepage.  Why am I ditching the search-champ for the underdawg?  Because  Bing gives me what i want. 

1. Answers.  Yahoo used to be the go-to site. As did AOL. Google used to be a phenomenal search engine.  While they still hold oodles of information, they've become somewhat convoluted lately.  Sponsored ads make their way towards the top of the search along with sensationalized stories. When I'm in a hurry to find a phone number or an address, I don't want to search through 3 pages of blogs, place reviews, advertisements, etc.  Bing takes me immediately to the answer I'm looking for.  No games, no ads, no shenannigans.  Just straight up answers.




2. Facebook Connections. When it comes to the social media competition, the same truth holds as for any other competition- You can either beat them or join them.  Google tried to beat Facebook by launching Google+.  They asked me to put the countless hours of investment in finding FB friends and building my profile behind me to start all over again for a social network that even their senior management can't be bothered to use.  Bing made (in my opinion) the smarter choice of joining.  Not only can I search objectively, I can search subjectively through the opinions of my friends.  I can see the restaurant Jenny likes, the charity Abby and Caleb support, or the club John goes to. Sure it's great to have the opinions of my search engine, but when I can search for recommendations based on what my friends and family who I know and trust like? Genius.




3. Choice. Bing gives me all sorts of choices.  I have a choice of which image I want as my background. It makes me feel like it's my page. Each image has secret squares of information hidden within it so I could choose to learn more. There's top stories highlighted below should I choose to read about the latest buzz.  I also have a choice when it comes to advertising.  Who doesn't want to feel like they have a choice regarding what ads are thrown at them?  Bing gives me the option of having personalized ads catered to my searches and preferances, or opting out for generic ads and a stronger sense of security in not having my every online move tracked and used.




 If you haven't already, I highly recommend switching your searches to Bing, or at least alternating with your go-to site. 

Bing and decide.  With your friends.

Mood: Bingy


No comments:

Post a Comment